A Calm Week In Cork

I hope everyone is having a good week, and isn’t too swamped by studying and exams! This week has been a pause in all the craziness for once, and I’m soaking in my last week in Cork. Here are a few reflections from the past week:

UCC Christmas Decorations

On the main campus of UCC there is one main quadrangle, which I have appropriately come to call “the pretty building”. It is my favorite place on campus and is frequently decorated with different colored lights for special occasions. The building is decorated with greens, reds, and blues for Christmas, paired with a beautiful Christmas tree right out front. This provides the perfect ambiance when leaving the library after a late study session.

Cork Grand Parade

In Cork City, they have a ton of pretty decorations up, paired with a whole Ferris wheel! I have yet to try it yet, but it’s definitely on my Cork bucket list. The Ferris wheel seems to be special for the holidays, having been put up in late November. When I walk by I’ve heard kids singing Christmas songs on the Ferris wheel and having the time of their lives, as well as other people getting together and celebrating the holiday season.

HC Family Dinner at Cafe Mexicana
Shrimp Tacos at Cafe Mexicana (amazing by the way)

Last night the group of kids from Holy Cross in Cork all got together for one last dinner together before we all say our goodbyes and head home in the next few days. This was a wonderful time to get to see everyone again in one place, reflect on our semester abroad, and eat amazing food. The restaurant was recommended by our HC coordinator Aoife, who was incredibly helpful the whole semester organizing events for us to experience more local Cork culture. The food at Cafe Mexicana was amazing, the staff was incredibly kind, and I would highly recommend this place, especially as Mexican food is hard to come by in Ireland!